Retailer will wow customers with simplified shopping experience and enhanced eCommerce offering; Predicts more than 210 million visits to its mobile app over holiday season
BENTONVILLE, Ark. – Oct. 29, 2015 – America moves from candy corn to candy canes November 1 and Walmart is ready. The retailer has been combing through data, predicting trends and preparing for the holiday season for more than a year. Today, it is summing up its plan for customers: easier shopping every day. Walmart is promising customers low prices and one-of-a-kind convenience on a product assortment hand-picked based on current customer trends.
The excitement begins this Sunday as Walmart kicks off eight weeks of deep savings and holiday retailtainment. With more than 140 million customers each week and an expected more than 210 million visits to its app in November and December – up from 18 million in 2013 – Walmart is forecasting the most integrated holiday shopping season ever. Powered by more than 4,500 stores, millions of additional items online and a best-in-class fulfillment network, the retailer will serve customers like only Walmart can.
“I want customers to be in awe when they see what we have to offer as they walk into our stores or click around our site. Our managers have made a lot of progress to improve the shopping experience before the holidays and our merchants made sure we have the right products in stock. We’re delivering the prices customers expect, but we’ve taken it up a notch,” said Judith McKenna, chief operating officer, Walmart U.S. “Our Supercenters, Neighborhood Markets and Walmart.com will be a powerful combination for customers this holiday season – trust me.”
In a post on Walmart’s blog, McKenna said high-low retailers and
pricing games have led to frustrated holiday shoppers who second-guess their
purchase decisions throughout the season. Walmart’s playbook to win starts with
doubling down on its everyday low price promise through the season, coupled
with an on-trend assortment and new tools for seamless shopping like never
- Honest, Low Prices All Season Long: The retailer promises more Rollbacks that last at least 90 days on everything from electronics to baking essentials, and fewer “this weekend only” holiday offers. These savings will last all season long and are backed by Walmart’s Ad Match Guarantee and Online Price Match. If customers find a lower price, Walmart will match it.
- Free, Easy Pickup with New Mobile Check-in: Nearly 75 percent of traffic to Walmart.com is expected to come from a mobile device this holiday season. To better serve the growing number of shoppers who order online and pick up in stores, Walmart is rolling out Mobile Check In. Customers can check in using their phone when they arrive to pick up their online order. And new Pickup branding in stores will help guide customers more quickly to the Pickup service area. Pickup is always free at any Walmart store or Neighborhood Market.
- Scan and Shop with Wish Lists: For the first time, customers can scan items in store to build a Wish List or search for someone else’s list by using the Walmart app. The new feature makes giving and getting the perfect gift faster and easier.
- Top Trends and Products: Based on data and insights from adults and kids through Walmart’s “Chosen By You” program, the retailer bought deep in popular categories and items, including:
- Pop Culture Favorites: Expected top sellers include Star Wars, Minions, Jurassic Park and Paw Patrol licensed merchandise along with a new kitchen collection by The Pioneer Woman only available at Walmart.
- Toys: With help from hundreds of kids, Walmart merchants identified the top toys of the season. In addition to adventure and action toys, other trends tie to personas: foodies and chefs, animal-lovers and designers.
- Seasonal Décor: Walmart Christmas Shops in stores and online will offer a wide range of holiday decorations and gift giving supplies. Cashmere artificial trees are back and aisles are full of creative ways to personalize décor and customize any gift. Gold and natural colors are on trend for ornaments, while metallic is the new look for wrapping paper.
- Tech: From wearables to tablets, Walmart is stocked with top brands at unbelievable prices, like an Apple iPad Mini 2 for $199.
- Food: Walmart is ready for holiday gatherings and each of the 63 everyday meals remaining before the new year. On-trend food flavors include black forest, mocha and peppermint. Walmart will offer its lowest prices on holiday ham in years, and its bakeries will sell two pumpkin pies every second in November.
“Our customers are looking for great deals no matter how they shop with us – whether in store, online or on their mobile device,” says Fernando Madeira, president and CEO, Walmart.com. “We’re building digital capabilities so it’s faster and easier for them to find the right items at the right prices, and get them delivered quickly to their door or to a store.”
Walmart’s holiday approach follows a number of initiatives rolled out earlier this year to accelerate digital innovation, bridge in-store and online shopping, improve inventory management and make Walmart stores cleaner, faster and friendlier. Efforts like a billion dollar investment in associate wages and training, the opening of five new fulfillment centers and an emphasis on fresh food are paying off.
For more information, visit Walmart.com.
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT) helps people around the world save money and live better – anytime and anywhere – in retail stores, online, and through their mobile devices. Each week, we serve nearly 260 million customers who visit our 11,504 stores under 65 banners in 28 countries and e-commerce websites in 11 countries. With fiscal year 2015 revenue of $486 billion, Walmart employs more than 2 million associates worldwide. Walmart continues to be a leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity. Additional information about Walmart can be found by visiting http://corporate.walmart.com on Facebook at http://facebook.com/walmart and on Twitter at http://twitter.com/walmart. Online merchandise sales are available at http://www.walmart.com and http://www.samsclub.com.