Walmart serves customers more than 200 million times per week at more than 11,000 retail units in 27 countries.
We employ 2.2 million associates globally, including approximately 1.3 million in the United States. Walmart is one of the largest private employers in the U.S. and Canada.
For the fiscal year ended January 2013, Walmart increased net sales by 5% to $466.1 billion and returned $13 billion to shareholders through dividends and share repurchases. Walmart ranked second on the 2012 FORTUNE 500 list of the world’s largest companies by revenue.
Walmart was founded by Sam Walton in 1962 with the opening of the first Walmart store in Rogers, Ark. The company incorporated as Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. in 1969 and was first publicly traded on the New York Stock Exchange in 1972.
In 1983, we opened the first Sam’s Club membership warehouse and in 1988 opened the first Walmart supercenter, which features a complete grocery department in addition to general merchandise.
Today in the U.S., Walmart operates more than 4,700 retail facilities, including Walmart stores and Sam’s Club warehouses. For fiscal year 2013, Walmart U.S. net sales were more than $274 billion, and Sam’s Club net sales were more than $56 billion.
Every day, millions of customers visit Walmart.com, where we offer the best values on a large assortment of products and services online, while providing easy, convenient access to Walmart anytime, anywhere. Walmart.com is dedicated to supporting a seamless shopping experience whether customers are online, in stores or on their mobile devices. Customers can save more with free shipping options to stores or to home through options such as Site to Store, Pick Up Today and Home Free.
Walmart International operates more than 6,300 retail units in 26 countries outside the U.S. In fiscal year 2013, Walmart International net sales exceeded $135 billion.
We’ve created stores with different styles and formats to fit in with local customer needs and customs. More than 90% of our international stores operate under a banner other than Walmart.
Awards & Recognition
Walmart has been recognized as a leader in sustainability, philanthropy and employment opportunity. The company has been named:
- First among retailers in onsite generation of renewable energy in the U.S. – U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s Green Power Partnership – 2012
- No. 1 in generation of onsite solar energy – Solar Energy Industries Association - 2012
- First among retailers and 11th overall in FORTUNE’s Most Admired Companies survey – 2011
- One of the Top Companies for Executive Women – National Association for Female Executives – 2011
- The biggest cash contributor to nonprofit and community organizations in the United States – The Chronicle of Philanthropy – 2011
- One of the World’s Most Innovative Companies – Fast Company Magazine – 2010
- One of America’s Top Organizations for Multicultural Business Opportunities – DiversityBusiness.com – 2010
- Champion of Energy Efficiency – American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy (ACEEE) – 2010
Updated November 2013
Updated November 2013