Walmart operates globally and gives back locally. Together with the Walmart Foundation, we are making a positive impact in communities around the world.
The Walmart Foundation supports hunger relief and healthy eating, environmental sustainability, women’s economic empowerment and career opportunity. We believe we make the greatest difference by supporting causes that are important to our customers in their own neighborhoods.
A share of our giving is directed by our local store managers who know their communities and their people better than anyone.
- During FY15, our company and Foundation gave $1.4 billion in cash and in-kind
contributions around the world.
o Global in-kind giving totaled more than $1.14 billion, comprised of more than $1.1 billion from our U.S.
markets and $36 million from international.
o More than $320 million was given in cash globally – $285 million from our U.S. markets and $34 million from
- Walmart is working to strengthen the
workforce system by helping workers build new job skills for a changing
economy. In 2015,
Walmart and the Foundation committed $100 million over five years to help
increase the economic mobility of entry-level workers in retail and adjacent
sectors. Through this Opportunity initiative, Walmart will fund grant partner
programs that provide retail training for more than 50,000 workers and help
30,000 of those workers move from entry level to middle-skills jobs.
Walmart has earned a strong reputation for its disaster relief efforts as the nation witnessed after Hurricane Katrina. In 2013, Walmart collaborated with the United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction to leverage our company’s best practices during disasters to build community resiliency worldwide. Over the past 10 years, Walmart and the Walmart Foundation have provided more than $43 million to various countries burdened by disasters.
· We are grateful for the sacrifice our nation’s veterans, military men and women, and their families have made in service to our country. In addition to providing job opportunities to veterans, the Walmart Foundation has committed $20 million through 2019 to support veteran employment and transition programs. In 2011, the Walmart Foundation pledged $20 million through 2015 to help veterans and their families get through those challenges with assistance from programs that provide job training, transition support and education, and it met that goal one year early.
Our Associates and Local Facilities
- Associate Giving
Gives associates the opportunity to support up
to 11 participating organizations through payroll deduction. In 2014,
associates raised nearly $12 million, and the Walmart Foundation matched more
than $8.4 million, totaling more than $20 million.
- Volunteerism Always Pays (VAP): Gives associates from Walmart, Sam’s Club and Logistics facilities opportunities to volunteer for causes in their local community. Through VAP, Walmart makes contributions to eligible organizations where associates volunteer. In 2014, associates volunteered more than 1.5 million hours through the program, generating $14 million for local nonprofits.
- Facility Giving: Awards grants to local organizations making a difference on key issues in communities where Walmart stores, clubs and distribution center associates live and work. In 2014, more than 46,000 grants equaling more than $47 million were provided to organizations, including law enforcement agencies, fire departments, schools, recreation centers and more.
Updated June 2015