Walmart operates globally and gives back locally. Together with the Walmart Foundation, we are making a positive impact in communities around the world.
- The Walmart Foundation supports hunger relief and healthy eating, environmental sustainability, women’s economic empowerment and career opportunity. We believe we make the greatest difference by supporting causes that are important to our customers in their own neighborhoods.
- A share of our giving is directed by our local store managers who know their communities and their people better than anyone.
year, our company and Foundation gave $1.3 billion in cash and in-kind
contributions around the world.
o Global in-kind giving totaled more than $1 billion, comprised of more than $978 million from our U.S.
markets and $37 million from international.
o $316 million was given in cash globally – $282 million from our U.S. markets and $34 million from
- Walmart has earned a strong reputation for its disaster relief efforts – responding quickly and holistically to disaster – as the nation witnessed after Hurricane Katrina. Last year, Walmart collaborated with the United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction with the purpose to leverage our global company’s best practices during disasters to build community resiliency worldwide. Since 2009, Walmart has provided $23,337,240 to 15 countries burdened by disasters.
- We are grateful for the sacrifice our nation’s veterans, military men and women, and their families have made in service to our country. In addition to providing job opportunities to veterans, the Walmart Foundation has committed $20 million through 2019 to support veteran employment and transition programs. In 2011, the Walmart Foundation pledged $20 million through 2015 to help veterans and their families get through those challenges with assistance from programs that provide job training, transition support and education, and it met that goal one year early.
Our Associates and Local Facilities
- In 2013, Walmart, Sam’s Club and logistics associates volunteered more than 1.8 million hours, generating $17 million for local U.S. nonprofits.
- Associate Giving Program: Gives associates the opportunity to support up to 11 participating organizations through payroll deduction. In 2013, associates raised more than $12.4 million, and the Walmart Foundation matched more than $8.9 million, totaling more than $21 million.
- Volunteerism Always Pays (VAP): Gives associates from Walmart, Sam’s Club and Logistics facilities opportunities to volunteer for causes in their local community. Through VAP, Walmart makes contributions to eligible organizations where associates volunteer. Last year, 89,416 associates volunteered more than 1.8 million hours through this program.
- Facility Giving: Awards grants to local organizations making a difference on key issues in communities where Walmart stores, clubs and distribution center associates live and work. Last year, more than 89,000 grants equaling more than $144 million were provided to organizations, including law enforcement agencies, fire departments, schools, recreation centers and more.
Updated August 2014