Retailer Simplifies Access to Health Insurance Coverage Information with “Healthcare Begins Here”
BENTONVILLE, Ark. – Oct. 6, 2014 – Recent research says that more than 60 percent of people have reported difficulty understanding their health insurance plan options and nearly 40 percent feel they picked the wrong plan after enrollment.* To bring transparency and simplicity to the changing health insurance market, Walmart is working with DirectHealth.com to launch Healthcare Begins Here, an in-store program designed to educate customers on health insurance options. DirectHealth.com, an online health insurance comparison site which is an independent licensed health insurance agency, will provide a resource that brings Walmart customers unprecedented access to health insurance information and enrollment support.
DirectHealth.com also manages relationships with licensed insurance agents, enabling customers to compare coverage options and enroll in the plan that is right for them whether that be a Medicare plan or Public Healthcare Exchange plan through online, phone and in-store services.
“Walmart has long been known for innovation in health and wellness, and we’ll never stop delivering new products and services to the 140 million people who visit our stores each week,” said Labeed Diab, senior vice president and president, Health & Wellness, Walmart U.S. “For years, our customers have told us that there is too much complexity when it comes to understanding their health insurance options. Healthcare Begins Here addresses that complexity by bringing clarity and increased choice to the insurance enrollment process through DirectHealth.com.”
Since 2005, Walmart has hosted insurance agents from individual insurers in stores to answer questions and enroll customers in specific healthcare plans. Healthcare Begins Here, through DirectHealth.com, takes this offering to the next level in response to customers who wanted more options to choose from.
customers over 65:
- DirectHealth.com offers access to more than 1,700 plans from 12 leading carriers including Aetna, Cigna, Humana, UnitedHealthcare and participating Blue Cross and Blue Shield companies.**
- Customers can compare and enroll in health plans online at DirectHealth.com or over the phone at 888-383-2111.
- 2,700 Walmart stores will be staffed by independent, licensed health insurance agents from DirectHealth.com that can help customers enroll in certain health insurance plans. Agents can also help provide education and guidance on other insurance options.
- Enrollment can take place during the Medicare open enrollment period from Oct. 15, 2014 through Dec. 7, 2014.
customers under 65:
- DirectHealth.com offers access to thousands of Health Exchange plans from more than 300 leading carriers.
- Customers can compare and enroll in health plans online at DirectHealth.com or over the phone at 888-327-0388.
- 2,700 Walmart stores will be staffed by independent, licensed agents from DirectHealth.com who can help provide education and guidance about health insurance options.
- The Health Insurance Marketplace open enrollment period takes place from Nov. 15, 2014 to Feb. 15, 2015.
*According to the Kaiser Family Foundation.
**Blue Cross Blue Shield Association is an association of independent Blue Cross and Blue Shield companies.
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT) helps people around the world save money and live better – anytime and anywhere -- in retail stores, online, and through their mobile devices. Each week, more than 245 million customers and members visit our 11,000 stores under 71 banners in 27 countries and ecommerce websites in 10 countries. With fiscal year 2014 sales of over $473 billion, Walmart employs more than 2 million associates worldwide. Walmart continues to be a leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity. Additional information about Walmart can be found by visiting http://corporate.walmart.com on Facebook at http://facebook.com/walmart and on Twitter at http://twitter.com/walmart. Online merchandise sales are available at http://www.walmart.com and http://www.samsclub.com.
DirectHealth.com is an insurance agency, contracted with TZ Insurance Solutions LLC.
TZ Insurance Solutions, LLC
TZ Insurance is a wholly owned subsidiary of TRANZACT, a large company providing direct-to-consumer services in the insurance sector. Based in Fort Lee, NJ, TZ Insurance has 1,000 employees, of which more than 700 are licensed insurance agents across life, health and property and casualty insurances.