Offers 10 free movies for all new VUDU users*
SANTA CLARA, Calif., Dec. 19, 2012 – VUDU, the leading subscription-free, video-on-demand movie service, today announced its new app for Android, giving customers additional access to their favorite movie and TV entertainment on the go. The VUDU app enables fans to stream or download more than 100,000 movies and TV shows on select tablet running the Android 4.0 operating system or above, with many more tablet models and smart phones to follow soon. The free app is now available for download in the Google Play store.
“The popularity of VUDU combined with Android, the world’s most popular mobile operating system, provides customers with even more convenience and access to new releases, Hollywood favorites and shows,” said Prasanna Ganesan, general manager, VUDU. “Since pioneering movie-on-demand, our mission at VUDU has been to give fans instant access to the greatest selection of movies and TV shows available, on as many devices as possible and with the highest streaming quality.”
Studies show Android is the world’s leading mobile operating system** and is available on a broad selection of devices. Its growth in popularity mirrors the rise of mobile media consumption, which now surpasses TV or PC media consumption via TV. *** VUDU was ranked the top streaming video provider by Consumer Reports, and continues to significantly grow its catalog of movies and TV shows and its user base.
New VUDU Features and Offers
VUDU has also announced several new features, including:
- Download via Android app: Users can download personal movie collections to Android devices within the VUDU app in digital format so they can enjoy their favorite flicks on the go, without the need for an Internet connection.
- 1080p HDX video streaming: High-quality streaming is now available via the Xbox 360®. VUDU was the first video service to offer HDX streaming via the Web – the highest-quality content available from any Internet, broadcast or satellite on-demand service.
- 10 Free Movies: Just in time for the holidays, all new users who sign up for VUDU receive 10 free movies when they link to or create a free UltraViolet™ account.
- UltraViolet Collection: When you purchase movies with an UltraViolet digital copy, you can now redeem them on VUDU for free and store your movie collection in the cloud.
* Free movie offer available on all platforms and requires user to link to or create a free UltraViolet™ account. Offer expires March 30, 2013
** IDC Worldwide Quarterly Mobile Phone Tracker, December 2012
*** InMobi U.S. Mobile Media Consumption Report for Q2 2012
A leader in HD streaming, VUDU offers the world’s largest selection of HD movies, including thousands of blockbusters, Hollywood classics and indies available in stunning HDX 1080p with Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 surround sound. Movies are available the same day they are released on DVD or Blu-ray, and can be rented or purchased without a subscription. VUDU is available on Internet-capable HDTVs and Blu-ray Disc players from FUNAI Electronics (Magnavox, Sylvania), LG Electronics, Mitsubishi Digital Electronics, Panasonic, Philips, Samsung, SANYO, Sharp, Sony, Toshiba and VIZIO, XBOX 360® from Microsoft, media players such as ROKU and Boxee and on the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system from Sony. VUDU is a wholly owned subsidiary of Walmart Stores, Inc., and is headquartered in Santa Clara, CA. For more information, visit http://www.vudu.com/.
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT) helps people around the world save money and live better – anytime and anywhere – in retail stores, online, and through their mobile devices. Each week, more than 200 million customers and members visit our 10,300 stores under 69 banners in 27 countries and e-commerce websites in 10 countries. With fiscal year 2012 sales of approximately $444 billion, Walmart employs more than 2 million associates worldwide. Walmart continues to be a leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity. Additional information about Walmart can be found by visiting http://corporate.walmart.com, on Facebook at http://facebook.com/walmart and on Twitter at http://twitter.com/walmartnewsroom. Online merchandise sales are available at http://www.walmart.com and http://www.samsclub.com.