Retailer extends timeframe, expands categories and offers a better value with layaway beginning on September 16
Working with major brands to make high-demand holiday products available in Walmart stores when layaway kicks-off
BENTONVILLE, Ark., August 20, 2012 – Customers asked for it and Walmart delivered. The retailer’s Christmas layaway program is back and better this year. Available nationwide Sept. 16 through Dec. 14, layaway at Walmart will give families an extra month to shop and stretch their paychecks further this holiday season.
“Last year, millions of Americans relied on layaway at Walmart to provide a great Christmas for their families. Because of their feedback, we’re offering the service again this year and making it better than ever,” said Duncan Mac Naughton, chief merchandising and marketing officer, Walmart U.S.
New layaway features at Walmart include:
- An expanded list of eligible categories, including small home appliances and select sporting goods such as basketball goals, trampolines and large exercise equipment. Customers can also use layaway for a broad selection of electronics, toys and jewelry.
- Early layaway access for shoppers who like their local Walmart store on Facebook. Customers simply need to sign up on their local Walmart Facebook page beginning August 28 to be able to start their layaway two days early on Sept. 14.
- A full refund of the layaway open fee ($15) given on a Walmart gift card for customers who make their final payment.
Must-Have Gifts for the Holiday Season
Walmart has also worked with major brands to ensure the holiday season’s top electronics and toys are available in time for its mid-September layaway launch. A few of the season’s most coveted gifts include the following:
- Apple iPad
- FURBY by Hasbro®
- LEGO® City The Mine
- Vizio Smart, 3D HDTVs
- Monster High® High School
- HP® Ultrabook Laptop PCs
“I’m excited that layaway will be earlier this year so my dollars can go further for my kids,” said Monica Brady, author of the blog Mommy Brain Reports. “I know I can rely on Walmart to have the gifts my kids want to see under the tree at a price I can afford.”
Process, Pricing and Savings
- A down payment of 10 percent or $10, whichever is greater, is required and is applied to the purchase.
- Individual items must be priced $15 or more, and the total layaway purchase must be at least $50.
- If the order is cancelled or not paid in full, the open fee is not refunded; however, no additional cancellation fee will be charged.
|2011 Layaway||2012 Layaway|
|Days to Pay||60||90|
|Down Payment||10% or $10, whichever is greater||10% or $10, whichever is greater|
|Total Refunded when Completed||$0||$15 (gift card)|
Layaway open fees and refunds may vary by state. For more information, visit: www.walmart.com/Layaway.
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT) serves customers and members more than 200 million times per week at over 10,000 retail units under 69 different banners in 27 countries. With fiscal year 2012 sales of $444 billion, Walmart employs 2.2 million associates worldwide. Walmart continues to be a leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity. Additional information about Walmart can be found by visiting http://corporate.walmart.com, on Facebook at http://facebook.com/walmart and on Twitter at http://twitter.com/walmartnewsroom. Online merchandise sales are available at http://www.walmart.com and http://www.samsclub.com.