Fast, friendly, clean design features wider aisles and expanded merchandise selections
GREENSBORO, N.C., Aug. 16, 2012 – The wait is over for residents in northwest Greensboro eager to see their Walmart at 3738 Battleground Ave. bring savings on a full line of groceries and a wide assortment of new products and services. The expanded Walmart is designed to make shopping easy for customers. The store’s expansion brings 50 new jobs to the community. The store will unveil the new expansion to customers at 8 a.m., Wednesday, Aug. 29, during a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony.
“We have a loyal customer base, and some have been shopping here since our original opening,” said store manager Cindy Landwehrmann. “We think they’ll love the new, easy-to-shop layout of the store and appreciate the savings we offer on the products they need.”New Layout Improves Customer Experience
The Greensboro Walmart also features a new layout and updated design. In recent months, Walmart has taken major steps to refresh its stores, merchandise and customer experience. The improvements have all come together in the company’s newest stores with faster service, a friendlier shopping experience and cleaner stores.
“The layout of the store is easy to navigate, which will save customers time as they shop for everyday necessities at our unbeatable prices,” said Landwehrmann. “By grouping the products that our customers most often purchase we are making one-stop shopping even easier.”
The new layout creates an open shopping environment with wider aisles. Directional signage on every aisle helps customers find what they are looking for quickly.
Expanded Walmart Adds 50 New Jobs
The store plans to employ approximately 250 associates, including approximately 50 positions created by the expansion. “Joining Walmart was a great career decision for me, as it has been for so many of my fellow associates,” Landwehrmann said. “I am proud to work for this company where there are unlimited opportunities and to bring those opportunities to our community and neighbors.”
Store Design Incorporates Environmentally Friendly Features
The Greensboro store, like all new Walmart stores, includes energy-efficient technology and environmentally friendly features to reduce energy and water consumption and minimize waste. LED lighting throughout the store operates 70 percent more efficiently than traditional fluorescent lighting. Low-flow toilets and faucets reduce the water used in the bathrooms.
Community Organizations Benefit from Grand-Opening Grants
The store is continuing its support of the community by distributing $5,000 in grants from Walmart and the Walmart Foundation to local organizations. The grant recipients include 2 Those Who Care, Court Watch of North Carolina, Easter Seals of North Carolina, Girls Inc. of Guilford County, Greensboro Grasshopper Charity Foundation, Greensboro Lions Club, Greensboro Urban Ministries, Guilford County Animal Shelter, Guilford County Humane Society, Guilford County Schools, Kids Voting of North Carolina, Out of the Garden Feeding Program, Reading Connections and Tools For Schools.
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT) serves customers and members more than 200 million times per week at more than 10,130 retail units under 69 different banners in 27 countries. With fiscal year 2012 sales of approximately $444 billion, Walmart employs more than 2 million associates worldwide. Walmart continues to be a leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity. Additional information about Walmart can be found by visiting http://walmartstores.com, and on Facebook at http://facebook.com/walmart and on Twitter at http://twitter.com/walmart. Online merchandise sales are available at http://www.walmart.com and http://www.samsclub.com.
- Location: 3738 Battleground Ave., Greensboro, N.C.
- 152,509-square-foot Walmart
- Store opens at 8 a.m., Wednesday, Aug. 29, following a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony
- Store manager: Cindy Landwehrmann
- Open 6 a.m.–midnight, seven days a week
- Full line of groceries, including a bakery, a deli serving fresh food and meal solutions for moms, meat and dairy products, fresh produce, and beer and wine
- More than 30 merchandise departments such as apparel and accessories, a garden center, health and beauty aids and an electronics department
- Convenience services include a pharmacy, vision center, digital-photo processing center and Walmart Connect Center
- Leased areas and services include a Subway restaurant
- $5,000 in grants from the Walmart Foundation to the following area organizations:
- 2 Those Who Care
- Court Watch of North Carolina
- Easter Seals of North Carolina
- Girls Inc. of Guilford County
- Greensboro Grasshopper Charity Foundation
- Greensboro Lions Club
- Greensboro Urban Ministries
- Guilford County Animal Shelter
- Guilford County Humane Society
- Guilford County Schools
- Kids Voting of North Carolina
- Out of the Garden Feeding Program
- Reading Connections
- Tools For Schools
- Store plans to employ approximately 250 associates, including approximately 50 positions added by the expansion.
- The average wage at Walmart for full-time hourly associates in North Carolina is approximately $12.58 per hour*
- Walmart’s benefit program is available to eligible full- and part-time associates and provides a variety of affordable health and well-being benefits including health care coverage with no lifetime maximum. Walmart also offers eligible associates matching 401(k) contributions of up to 6 percent of pay, discounts on general merchandise, an Associate Stock Purchase Program and company-paid life insurance. Additionally, eligible associates receive a quarterly incentive based on store performance.
* Average wage taken April 2012. See www.walmartstores.com for details.