Walmart Ready to Reveal New Store to Greece Shoppers
New Walmart provides 300 jobs, plus savings on wide selection of merchandise
GREECE, N.Y., Aug. 3, 2012 – A new Walmart opens this month in Greece, bringing 300 new jobs, savings for local shoppers and an increase in tax revenue to support the area’s economy. The Walmart, located at 3800 Dewey Ave., will open to customers at 8 a.m., Wednesday, Aug. 15.
Economic Impact Includes 300 New Jobs
The new Greece Walmart will employ approximately 300 associates, according to store manager Daniel Benson. Benson is a New York native who began his Walmart career in 1999 as a part-time cashier at a store in Brockport.
Store Designed to Improve Customer Experience
In recent months, Walmart has taken major steps to refresh its stores, merchandising and customer experience. The improvements have all come together in the company’s newest stores, such as the Greece Walmart, with fast service, a friendly shopping experience and clean stores.
The new Walmart features enhanced service and a layout designed to make the shopping experience more convenient for customers. Walmart aligned the departments that customers shop most frequently. The pharmacy, for example, is adjacent to food making it easier for customers to pick up their prescriptions while shopping for their groceries.
“The layout of the store is easy to navigate, which will save our customers time as they shop for everyday necessities,” said Benson. “By grouping the products that our customers most often purchase, including health and beauty and pharmacy, we are making one-stop shopping even easier.”
A bright interior color palette creates an inviting shopping experience and helps define the store’s merchandise areas. Lower shelving creates an improved sightline, and directional signage on every aisle helps customers find what they are looking for quickly. Site-to-Store pick-up location and digital-photo lab are located in one area near the rear of the store. Customers now have easy access to these services, as well as associates on hand to help meet their needs.
Store Design Incorporates Environmentally Friendly Features
The Greece store, like all new Walmart stores, includes energy-efficient technology and environmentally friendly features to reduce energy and water consumption and minimize waste. LED lighting throughout the store, as well as in the parking lot, operates 70 percent more efficiently than traditional fluorescent lighting. Low-flow toilets and faucets reduce the water used in the bathrooms.
Ribbon-Cutting Celebration 7:15 a.m., Aug. 15
Community and business leaders will join Walmart associates at 7:15 a.m., Wednesday, Aug. 15, for a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony. Benson and other associates will cut the ribbon to the new store. The Greece American Legion Post 468 will present the colors, and Shayla Brown will sing the national anthem.
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT) serves customers and members more than 200 million times per week at more than 10,130 retail units under 69 different banners in 27 countries. With fiscal year 2012 sales of approximately $444 billion, Walmart employs more than 2 million associates worldwide. Walmart continues to be a leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity. Additional information about Walmart can be found by visiting http://walmartstores.com, and on Facebook at http://facebook.com/walmart and on Twitter at http://twitter.com/walmart. Online merchandise sales are available at http://www.walmart.com and http://www.samsclub.
- Location: 3800 Dewey Ave., Greece, N.Y.
- 145,943-square-foot Walmart
- Store opens at 8 a.m., Wednesday, Aug. 15, following a 7:15 a.m., ribbon-cutting ceremony
- Store manager: Daniel Benson
- Open 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Full line of groceries, including a bakery, a deli serving fresh food and meal solutions for moms, meat and dairy products, fresh produce and beer
- More than 30 merchandise departments such as apparel and accessories, a garden center, health and beauty aids, and an expanded electronics department
- Convenience services include a pharmacy, digital-photo processing center and Walmart Connect Center
- Leased areas include a Subway restaurant
- Store plans to employ approximately 300 associates
- The average wage at Walmart for full-time hourly associates in New York is approximately $12.74 per hour*
- Walmart’s benefit program is available to eligible full- and part-time associates and provides a variety of affordable health and well-being benefits including medical insurance with no lifetime maximum. Walmart also offers matching 401(k) contributions of up to 6 percent of pay, discounts on general merchandise for store associates, an Associate Stock Purchase Program and company-paid life insurance. Additionally, eligible associates receive a quarterly incentive based on store performance.
*Average wage taken April 2012. See www.walmartstores.com for details.