Walmart Ready to Reveal New Store to Encinitas Shoppers
New store provides 250 jobs, plus savings on wide selection of merchandise
ENCINITAS, Calif., June 13, 2012 – A new Walmart opens this month in Encinitas, bringing 250 new jobs, savings for local shoppers and an increase in tax revenue to support the area’s economy. Nonprofit organizations will also benefit from the retailer’s ongoing charitable contributions and support for community projects. The Walmart, located at 1550 Leucadia Blvd., will open to customers at 8 a.m., Wednesday, June 13, following a 7 a.m., ribbon-cutting ceremony.
Economic Impact Includes 250 New Jobs
The new Encinitas Walmart will employ approximately 250 associates, according to store manager Lisa Rivera. Rivera is a California native who began her Walmart career in 1995 as an hourly associate at a store in San Diego.
“The new store has created 250 new jobs for our community during a time when jobs are badly needed. The Walmart in Encinitas will not only fill a building that sat vacant for too long, it will also bring our city valuable tax revenue,” said Encinitas Mayor Jerome Stocks. “We are excited to welcome Walmart to Encinitas. We know it will be a productive part of our city for years to come.”
Store Designed to Improve Customer Experience
In recent months, Walmart has taken major steps to refresh its stores, merchandising and customer experience. The improvements have all come together in the company’s newest stores, such as the Encinitas Walmart, with fast service, a friendly shopping experience and clean stores.
The new Walmart features enhanced service and a layout designed to make the shopping experience more convenient for customers. Walmart aligned the departments that customers shop most frequently.
“The layout of the store is easy to navigate, which will save our customers time as they shop for everyday necessities,” said Rivera. “By grouping the products that our customers most often purchase, including health and beauty and pet supplies, we are making one-stop shopping even easier.”
A bright interior color palette creates an inviting shopping experience and helps define the store’s merchandise areas. Lower shelving creates an improved sightline, and directional signage on every aisle helps customers find what they are looking for quickly.
Community Organizations Benefit from Grand-Opening Grants
As part of Walmart’s commitment to the communities in which it operates, grants from Walmart and the Walmart Foundation will be presented during the grand-opening celebration.
Store Design Incorporates Environmentally Friendly Features
The Encinitas Walmart, like all new Walmart stores, includes energy-efficient technology and environmentally friendly features to reduce energy and water consumption and minimize waste. LED lighting in the store operates 70 percent more efficiently than traditional fluorescent lighting.
Ribbon-Cutting Celebration 7 a.m., June 13
Community and business leaders will join Walmart associates at 7 a.m., Wednesday, June 13, for a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony. Representatives from the Encinitas Chamber of Commerce will cut the ribbon to the new store.
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT) serves customers and members more than 200 million times per week at more than 10,130 retail units under 69 different banners in 27 countries. With fiscal year 2012 sales of approximately $444 billion, Walmart employs more than 2 million associates worldwide. Walmart continues to be a leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity. Additional information about Walmart can be found by visiting http://walmartstores.com, and on Facebook at http://facebook.com/walmart and on Twitter at http://twitter.com/walmart. Online merchandise sales are available at http://www.walmart.com and http://www.samsclub.com.
- Location: 1550 Leucadia Blvd., Encinitas, Calif.
- 92,024-square-foot Walmart
- Store opens at 8 a.m., Wednesday, June 13, following a 7 a.m., ribbon-cutting ceremony
- Store manager: Lisa Rivera
- Open 6 a.m.-11 p.m., seven days a week
- Full line of groceries, including a bakery, a deli serving fresh food and meal solutions for moms, meat and dairy products, fresh produce, and beer and wine
- More than 30 merchandise departments such as apparel and accessories, a garden center, health and beauty aids, and an expanded electronics department
- Convenience services include a pharmacy and digital photo processing center
- Store plans to employ approximately 250 associates
- The average wage at Walmart for full-time hourly associates in California is approximately $12.79 per hour*
- Walmart’s benefit program is available to eligible full- and part-time associates and provides a variety of affordable health and well-being benefits including medical insurance with no lifetime maximum. Walmart also offers matching 401(k) contributions of up to 6 percent of pay, discounts on general merchandise for store associates, a Sam’s Club membership for club associates, an Associate Stock Purchase Program and company-paid life insurance. Additionally, eligible associates receive quarterly incentive based on the company performance.
* Average wage taken April 2012. See www.walmartstores.com for details.