Lockhart Welcomes New Walmart
Newly relocated Walmart provides 85 new jobs
LOCKHART, Texas, June 4, 2012 – A new Walmart opens this month in Lockhart, bringing 85 new jobs, savings for local shoppers and an increase in tax revenue to support the area’s economy. Nonprofit organizations will also benefit from the retailer’s ongoing charitable contributions and support for community projects. The new Walmart, located at 1904 S. Colorado St., across the street from the current store, will open Wednesday, June 13.
“We welcome this new store with open arms,” said Lockhart Mayor Lew White. “We have been anticipating this store for several years, and it couldn’t have come at a better time. From the added jobs to the sales tax and property tax standpoints, this store will have a tremendous impact on our community.”
Economic Impact Includes 85 New Jobs
The relocated Lockhart Walmart will employ approximately 225 associates, according to store manager June Carnahan, including 85 positions created by the relocation. Several associates have worked for Walmart for more than 10 years and are transferring from nearby stores in San Marcos, Seguin, Bastrop and Buda.
“Walmart provides job opportunities and career choices for everyone from seniors looking for supplemental income to young people wanting to gain work experience,” Carnahan said. She started her career with Walmart in 1995 as a part-time hourly associate in Bastrop. She remained at the Bastrop store for 15 years working her way up to management positions, including photo lab manager for 10 years and shift manager. Carnahan has been manager of the Lockhart store for two years.
Store Designed to Improve Customer Experience
In recent months, Walmart has taken major steps to refresh its stores, merchandising and customer experience. The improvements have all come together in the company’s newest stores, such as the Lockhart Walmart, with fast service, a friendly shopping experience and clean stores.
The new Walmart features enhanced service and a layout designed to make the shopping experience more convenient for customers. Walmart aligned the departments that customers shop most frequently. The pharmacy, for example, is adjacent to health and beauty making it easier for customers to pick up their prescriptions while shopping for their everyday needs.
“The layout of the store is easy to navigate, which will save our customers time as they shop for everyday necessities,” said Carnahan. “By grouping the products that our customers most often purchase, including health and beauty and pet supplies, we are making one-stop shopping even easier.”
A bright interior color palette creates an inviting shopping experience and helps define the store’s merchandise areas. Lower shelving creates an improved sightline, and directional signage on every aisle helps customers find what they are looking for quickly. Walmart also combined the customer service desk and the Site-to-Store pick-up location in one area near the entrance. Customers now have easy access to these services, as well as associates on hand to help meet their needs.
Store Design Incorporates Environmentally Friendly Features
The Lockhart Walmart, like all new Walmart stores, includes energy-efficient technology and environmentally friendly features to reduce energy and water consumption and minimize waste. The store’s skylights harvest daylight and reduce the amount of energy required to light the store by up to 75 percent daily. LED lighting in the store operates 70 percent more efficiently than traditional fluorescent lighting.
The cement used in the concrete flooring is made with recycled materials, and the floor’s finish reduces the need for chemical cleaners. Low-flow toilets and faucets reduce the water used in the bathrooms. The new store also operates a recycling program and will promote sustainable product purchases.
Ribbon-Cutting Celebration 7:30 a.m., June 13
City of Lockhart and Caldwell County dignitaries will join Carnahan and store associates to celebrate during a ribbon-cutting ceremony at 7:30 a.m., Wednesday, June 13.
Community Organizations Benefit from Grand-Opening Grants
As part of Walmart’s commitment to the communities in which it operates, grants from Walmart and the Walmart Foundation will be presented during the grand-opening celebration and throughout the year.
“Walmart is a big contributor to our community and has always played a big part in it,” said White.
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT) serves customers and members more than 200 million times per week at more than 10,130 retail units under 69 different banners in 27 countries. With fiscal year 2012 sales of approximately $444 billion, Walmart employs more than 2 million associates worldwide. Walmart continues to be a leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity. Additional information about Walmart can be found by visiting http://walmartstores.com, and on Facebook at http://facebook.com/walmart and on Twitter at http://twitter.com/walmart. Online merchandise sales are available at http://www.walmart.com and http://www.samsclub.com.
- Location: 1904 S. Colorado St., Lockhart, Texas
- Previously located at 1703 S. Colorado St.
- 121,000 square-foot Walmart
- Store opens Wednesday, June 13, following a 7:30 a.m. ribbon-cutting ceremony
- Store manager: June Carnahan
- Open 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Full line of groceries, including a bakery, a deli with meal solutions for moms, meat and dairy products, fresh produce, and beer and wine
- More than 30 merchandise departments such as apparel and accessories, a garden center, fabrics, health and beauty aids, and an expanded electronics department
- Convenience services include a pharmacy with a drive-thru lane, digital photo processing center, a Walmart Connect Center, and Tire and Lube Express
- Leased areas include a Subway restaurant and a branch of First Convenience Bank
- Store plans to employ approximately 225 associates, including 85 positions created by the relocation.
- The average wage at Walmart for full-time hourly associates in Texas is approximately $12.29 per hour.*
- Walmart’s benefit program is available to eligible full- and part-time associates and provides a variety of affordable health and well-being benefits including medical insurance with no lifetime maximum. Walmart also offers matching 401(k) contributions of up to 6 percent of pay, discounts on general merchandise for store associates, an Associate Stock Purchase Program and company-paid life insurance. Additionally, eligible associates receive a quarterly incentive based on store performance.
* Average wage taken April 2012. See www.walmartstores.com for details.