Yreka Walmart Expands to Offer Savings on Full Line of Groceries
Remodeled store adds 50 jobs, plus more convenience for local shoppers
YREKA, Calif., May 23, 2012 – The wait is over for residents in Yreka and the surrounding communities eager to see their Walmart at 1906 Fort Jones Road bring savings on a full line of groceries and a wide assortment of new products and services. The new Walmart is designed to make shopping easy for customers. The store’s expansion brings 50 new jobs to the community. The store will unveil the expansion to customers at 8 a.m., Wednesday, May 23, after a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony.
“We have a loyal customer base and some have been shopping here since our original opening,” said store manager Rob Johnson. “We think they’ll love the new, easy-to-shop layout of the store and appreciate the savings we offer on the products they need.”
“While I am a supporter of new business in the area, I am especially drawn to already-established business retention and expansion,” said Yreka Mayor Rory McNeil. “I am pleased that Walmart has been doing well enough in our community to be able to expand to its current size and scope of services. We appreciate all that Walmart does for the community -- not just the jobs created and the sales tax revenue generated, but also the charitable works.”
New Layout Improves Customer Experience
The Yreka Walmart also features a new layout and updated design. In recent months, Walmart has taken major steps to refresh its stores, merchandise and customer experience. The improvements have all come together in the company’s newest stores with faster service, a friendlier shopping experience and cleaner stores.
“The layout of the store is easy to navigate, which will save customers time as they shop for everyday necessities at our unbeatable prices,” said Johnson. “By grouping the products that our customers most often purchase we are making one-stop shopping even easier.”
The new layout creates an open shopping environment with wider aisles. Lower shelving throughout the store creates an improved sightline, and directional signage on every aisle helps customers find what they are looking for quickly.
Expanded Walmart Adds 50 New Jobs
The store plans to employ approximately 250 associates, including approximately 50 positions created by the expansion. “Joining Walmart was a great career decision for me, as it has been for so many of my fellow associates,” Johnson said. “I am proud to work for this company where there are unlimited opportunities and to bring those opportunities to our community and neighbors.”
“In this time of high unemployment rates, it's a boon to have 50 new jobs created,” McNeil said.
Community Organizations Benefit from Grand-Opening Grants
The store is continuing its support of the community by giving $1,600 in grants from the Walmart Foundation to local organizations. The grant recipients include Siskiyou Canine Association, Siskiyou Opportunity Center, YMCA and Yreka Community Resource Center.
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT) serves customers and members more than 200 million times per week at over 10,000 retail units under 69 different banners in 27 countries. With fiscal year 2012 sales of approximately $444 billion, Walmart employs more than 2 million associates worldwide. Walmart continues to be a leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity. Additional information about Walmart can be found by visiting http://walmartstores.com, and on Facebook at http://facebook.com/walmart and on Twitter at http://twitter.com/walmart. Online merchandise sales are available at http://www.walmart.com and http://www.samsclub.com.
- Location: 1906 Fort Jones Road, Yreka, Calif.
- 122,000-square-foot Walmart
- Store opens Wednesday, May 23, following an 8 a.m. ribbon-cutting ceremony
- Store manager: Rob Johnson
- Open 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Full line of groceries, including a bakery, meal solutions for moms, meat and dairy products, fresh produce and a full liquor department
- More than 30 merchandise departments such as apparel and accessories, fabrics, a garden center, health and beauty aids, and an electronics department
- Convenience services include a pharmacy, digital photo processing center and Walmart Connect Center
- Leased areas and services include a new SmartStyle Family Hair Care salon and a Subway restaurant
$1,600 in grants from the Walmart Foundation to the following area organizations:
- Siskiyou Canine Association
- Siskiyou Opportunity Center
- Yreka Community Resource Center
- Store plans to employ approximately 250 associates, including approximately 50 positions added by the expansion.
- The average wage at Walmart for full-time hourly associates in California is approximately $12.74 per hour*
- Walmart’s benefit program is available to eligible full- and part-time associates and provides a variety of affordable health and well-being benefits including medical insurance with no lifetime maximum. Walmart also offers matching 401(k) contributions of up to 6 percent of pay, discounts on general merchandise for store associates, an Associate Stock Purchase Program and company-paid life insurance. Additionally, eligible associates receive a quarterly incentive based on store performance.
* Average wage taken January 2012. See www.walmartstores.com for details.