South Philadelphia Walmart Brings Savings and Convenience to Customers
Newly Expanded Columbus Boulevard Walmart Store Adds 200 New Jobs
PHILADELPHIA, March 1, 2012 – The wait is over for residents of Philadelphia eager to see their Walmart at 1675 S. Christopher Columbus Blvd. bring savings on a full line of groceries and a wide assortment of new products and services. The store’s expansion also brings 200 new jobs to the community. The expanded store will be formally open to customers at 7:30 a.m., Wednesday, March 14, after a brief ceremony to include a performance by the High School of the Performing Arts Choir, Quaker City String Band and remarks by Philadelphia Councilman Mark Squilla.
“We have a loyal customer base and many have been shopping here since our original opening 17 years ago,” said store manager Frank Pellicori. “We think they’ll love the new, easy-to-shop layout of the store and appreciate the savings we offer on the products they need.”
New Layout Improves Customer Experience
The South Philadelphia Walmart now features a new layout and updated design. In recent months, Walmart has taken major steps to refresh its stores, merchandise and customer experience. The improvements have all come together in the company’s newest stores with faster service, a friendlier shopping experience and cleaner stores.
“The layout of the store is easy to navigate, which will save customers time as they shop for everyday necessities at our unbeatable prices,” said Pellicori. “By grouping the products that our customers most often purchase we are making one-stop shopping even easier.”
Expanded Walmart Adds 200 New Jobs
The store will employ approximately 550 associates, including 200 new positions created by the expansion. “Joining Walmart was a great career decision for me, as it has been for so many of my fellow associates,” Pellicori said. “I am proud to work for this company where there are unlimited opportunities and to bring those opportunities to our community and neighbors.” Pellicori started his career with Walmart in 1998 in Stroudsburg, Pa.
Community Organizations Benefit from Grand-Opening Grants
The South Philadelphia Walmart Store has long been a supporter of local programs and organizations that are important to its customers and associates. The store will continue to support the community by awarding $14,000 in grants to the following South Philadelphia organizations at the grand-opening ceremony:
- Pennsport Civic Association
- Whitman Civic Association
- Philadelphia New Year’s Shooters & Mummer’s Museum
- SouthEast Youth Athletic Association
- Gloria Dei Episcopal Church
- Shot Tower Playground
- Young Children’s Center for the Arts
For additional information on Walmart in Philadelphia please visit www.walmartphiladelphia.com.
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT) serves customers and members more than 200 million times per week at over 10,000 retail units under 69 different banners in 27 countries. With fiscal year 2012 sales of approximately $444 billion, Walmart employs 2.2 million associates worldwide. Walmart continues to be a leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity. Additional information about Walmart can be found by visiting http://walmartstores.com, and on Facebook at http://facebook.com/walmart and on Twitter at http://twitter.com/walmart. Online merchandise sales are available at http://www.walmart.com and http://www.samsclub.com.
- Location: 1675 S. Christopher Columbus Blvd., Philadelphia, Pa.
- 149,845-square-foot Walmart
- Store opens at 7:30 a.m. Wednesday, March 14, following a brief ceremony
- Store manager: Frank Pellicori
- Open 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Full line of groceries, including a bakery, a deli, meat and dairy products, and fresh produce
- More than 30 merchandise departments such as apparel and accessories, portrait studio, health and beauty aids, and electronics department
- Convenience services include a pharmacy and vision center
- Leased areas and services include a McDonald’s Restaurant
- Store plans to employ approximately 550 associates, including 200 positions added by the expansion.
- The average wage at Walmart for full-time hourly associate in Pennsylvania is approximately $12.36 per hour*
- Walmart’s benefit program is available to eligible full- and part-time associates and provides a variety of affordable health and well-being benefits including medical insurance with no lifetime maximum. Walmart also offers matching 401(k) contributions of up to 6 percent of pay, discounts on general merchandise for store associates, an Associate Stock Purchase Program and company-paid life insurance. Additionally, eligible associates receive a quarterly incentive based on store performance.
* Average wage taken January 2012. See www.walmartstores.com for details.