New Walmart provides 300 jobs
SPRINGFIELD, Pa., Oct. 3, 2011 – A new Walmart opens this month in Marple/Springfield, bringing 300 new jobs, savings for local shoppers and an increase in tax revenue to support the area’s economy. Nonprofit organizations will also benefit from the retailer’s ongoing charitable contributions and support for community projects. The Walmart, located at 400 S. State Road, will be open to customers at 8 a.m., Wednesday, Oct. 12.
Economic Impact Includes 300 New Jobs
The new Marple/Springfield Walmart will employ approximately 300 associates, according to store manager Anthony Deni. Four of the store’s associates have worked for Walmart for more than 10 years. Deni is a Pennsylvania native who began his Walmart career in 2000 as an hourly sales associate at a store in Philadelphia.
Store Designed to Improve Customer Experience
In recent months, Walmart has taken major steps to refresh its stores, merchandising and customer experience. The improvements have all come together in the company’s newest stores, such as the Marple/Springfield Walmart, with fast service, a friendly shopping experience and clean stores.
The new Walmart features wide aisles, enhanced service and a layout designed to make the shopping experience more convenient for customers. Walmart aligned the departments that customers shop most frequently. The pharmacy, for example, is adjacent to food making it easier for customers to pick up their prescriptions while shopping for their groceries.
“The layout of the store is easy to navigate, which will save our customers time as they shop for everyday necessities,” said Deni. “By grouping the products that our customers most often purchase, including health and beauty and pet supplies, we are making one-stop shopping even easier.”
A bright interior color palette creates an inviting shopping experience and helps define the store’s merchandise areas. Lower shelving creates an improved sightline and directional signage on every aisle helps customers find what they are looking for quickly. Walmart also combined the customer service desk, Site-to-Store pick-up location and photo lab in one area near the entrance. Customers now have easy access to these services, as well as associates on hand to help meet their needs.
Store Design Incorporates Environmentally Friendly Features
The Marple/Springfield Walmart, like all new Walmart stores, includes energy-efficient technology and environmentally friendly features to reduce energy and water consumption and minimize waste. The store’s skylights harvest daylight and reduce the amount of energy required to light the store by up to 75 percent daily. LED lighting in the store operates 70 percent more efficiently than traditional fluorescent lighting.
Low-flow toilets and faucets reduce the water used in the bathrooms. The new store also operates a recycling program and will promote sustainable product purchases.
Ribbon-Cutting Celebration 7:15 a.m., Oct. 12
Community and business leaders will join Walmart associates at 7:15 a.m., Wednesday, Oct. 12 for a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony. Store associate Muneerah Lilly will perform the national anthem, and Minster Earl Harris from ASM Monique Harris will give the invocation. Members of the Springfield Chamber of Commerce will cut the ribbon to the new store.
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT) serves customers and members more than 200 million times per week at over 9,600 retail units under 69 different banners in 28 countries. With fiscal year 2011 sales of $419 billion, Walmart employs 2.1 million associates worldwide. Walmart continues to be a leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity. Additional information about Walmart can be found by visiting http://walmartstores.com and on Twitter at http://twitter.com/walmart. Online merchandise sales are available at http://www.walmart.com and http://www.samsclub.com.
- Location: 400 S. State Road, Springfield, Pa.
- 112,133-square-foot Walmart
- Store opens at 8 a.m., Wednesday, Oct. 12, following a 7:15 a.m. ribbon-cutting ceremony
- Store manager: Anthony Deni
- Open 7 a.m. – 11 p.m., seven days a week
- Full line of groceries, including a bakery, a deli serving fresh food and meal solutions for moms, meat and dairy products, and fresh produce
- More than 30 merchandise departments such as apparel and accessories, a lawn and garden center, health and beauty aids, and an expanded electronics department
- Convenience services include a pharmacy, vision center, digital photo processing center and a Walmart Connect Center
- Store plans to employ approximately 300 associates
- The average wage at Walmart for full-time hourly associates in Pennsylvania is approximately $12.15 per hour*
- Walmart’s benefit program is available to eligible full- and part-time associates and provides a variety of affordable health and well-being benefits including medical insurance with no lifetime maximum. Walmart also offers matching 401(k) contributions of up to 6 percent of pay, discounts on general merchandise for store associates, a Sam’s Club membership for club associates, an Associate Stock Purchase Program and company-paid life insurance. Additionally, eligible associates receive an annual incentive based on the company performance.
* Average wage taken June 2011. See www.walmartstores.com for details.