Walmart Brings New Shopping Experience to Southgate
New Walmart provides 300 jobs in Southgate, plus savings on wide selection of merchandise
SOUTHGATE, Mich., Sept. 2, 2011 – A new Walmart opens this month in Southgate, bringing 300 new jobs, savings on a full line of groceries and an increase in tax revenue to support the area’s economy. Nonprofit organizations will also benefit from the retailer’s ongoing charitable contributions and support for community projects. The Walmart, located at 14900 Dix-Toledo Road, will be open to customers at 7:30 a.m., Wednesday, Sept. 14.
“The City of Southgate is extremely excited for the opening of the new Walmart store in Southgate as the development project is so pivotal to our commercial district redevelopment efforts,” said Mayor Joseph Kuspa. “This project will result in more than 300 new jobs, showing their commitment to the community Walmart agreed to open a local hiring center in the Downriver Community Conference giving Southgate and Downriver residents a wonderful employment opportunity. The City would like to thank Walmart for their commitment to Southgate and their willingness to create a sustainable partnership."
Economic Impact Includes 300 New Jobs
According to store manager Kevin Stover, the new Southgate store will employ 300 associates. Eight of the store’s associates have worked for Walmart for more than 10 years and three associates have worked for Walmart for more than 15 years. Stover has been a Michigan resident for four years and most recently was the store manager at the Howell Walmart. Stover began his Walmart career in 1990 as a temporary, holiday hourly associate in Rogers, Ark.
Store Designed to Improve Customer Experience
In recent months, Walmart has taken major steps to refresh its stores, merchandising and customer experience. The improvements have all come together in the company’s newest stores, such as the Southgate Walmart, with fast service, a friendly shopping experience and clean stores.
The new Walmart features enhanced services and a layout designed to make the shopping experience more convenient for customers. Walmart aligned the departments that customers shop most frequently.
“The layout of the store is easy to navigate, which will save our customers time as they shop for everyday necessities,” said Stover. “By grouping the products that our customers most often purchase, including health and beauty and pet supplies, we are making one-stop shopping even easier.”
A bright interior color palette creates an inviting shopping experience and helps define the store’s merchandise areas. Directional signage on every aisle helps customers find what they are looking for quickly. The store features a full line of groceries as well as a bakery, a deli, a frozen food section, and meat, dairy and fresh produce sections. The new Southgate Walmart offers customers an expanded electronics department featuring a wide selection of the latest consumer electronics and home entertainment. The new design includes a more hands-on experience for customers with interactive displays for hi-definition Blu-ray, video gaming and portable electronics. The interactive experience enables shoppers to test new technology.
Community Organizations Benefit from Grand-Opening Grants
As part of Walmart’s commitment to the communities in which it operates, $15,000 in grants from the Walmart Foundation will be presented during the ribbon-cutting ceremony. These grants will be presented to local service organizations, including the Bethel Baptist Church Food Bank, Downriver Community Center, Southgate Fire Department, Southgate Anderson High School, Southgate Police Department, Southgate Public Library and the Southgate Parks and Recreation Department.
Store Design Incorporates Environmentally Friendly Features
The new Southgate Walmart, like all new Walmart stores, includes energy-efficient technology and environmentally friendly features to reduce energy and water consumption and minimize waste. The store’s skylights harvest daylight and reduce the amount of energy required to light the store by up to 75 percent daily. LED lighting in the store operates 70 percent more efficiently than traditional fluorescent lighting.
The cement flooring throughout the store reduces the need for chemical cleaners. Low-flow toilets and no-touch faucets reduce the water used in the bathrooms. The new store also operates a recycling program and will promote sustainable product purchases.
Ribbon-Cutting Celebration 7:30 a.m., Sept. 14
Community and business leaders, including Mayor Joseph Kuspa and members of the Southgate Chamber of Commerce, will join Walmart associates at 7:30 a.m., Wednesday, Sept. 14, for a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony. Seventeen-year associate Jackie Chubs will perform the national anthem.
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT) serves customers and members more than 200 million times per week at over 9,600 retail units under 69 different banners in 28 countries. With fiscal year 2011 sales of $419 billion, Walmart employs 2.1 million associates worldwide. Walmart continues to be a leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity. Additional information about Walmart can be found by visiting http://walmartstores.com and on Twitter at http://twitter.com/walmart. Online merchandise sales are available at http://www.walmart.com and http://www.samsclub.com.
- Location: 14900 Dix-Toledo Road, Southgate, Mich.
- 182,000-square-foot Walmart
- Store opens at 8 a.m., Wednesday, Sept. 14, following a 7:30 a.m. ribbon-cutting ceremony
- Store manager: Kevin Stover
- Open 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Full line of groceries, including a bakery, a deli serving fresh food and meal solutions for busy people on-the-go, meat and dairy products, fresh produce, and beer and wine
- More than 30 merchandise departments such as apparel and accessories, a lawn and garden center, health and beauty aids, and an expanded electronics department
- Convenience services include a pharmacy, digital photo processing center and a Walmart Connect Center
- Leased areas and services include a Smart Style salon a DaVi nail salon
$15,000 grants from the Walmart Foundation will be presented to the following area organizations:
- Bethel Baptist Church Food Bank
- Downriver Community Center
- Southgate Fire Department
- Southgate Anderson High School
- Southgate Police Department
- Southgate Parks and Recreation Department
- Southgate Public Library
- Store plans to employ approximately 300 associates
- The average wage at Walmart for full-time hourly associates in Michigan is approximately $12.10 per hour*
- Walmart’s benefit program is available to eligible full- and part-time associates and provides a variety of affordable health and well-being benefits including medical insurance with no lifetime maximum. Walmart also offers matching 401(k) contributions of up to 6 percent of pay, discounts on general merchandise for store associates, a Sam’s Club membership for club associates, an Associate Stock Purchase Program and company-paid life insurance. Additionally, eligible associates receive an annual incentive based on the company performance.
* Average wage taken June 2011. See www.walmartstores.com for details.