Springfield Walmart Expands to Offer Savings on Full Line of Groceries
Expanded Walmart in Springfield provides 85 jobs, plus savings on wide selection of merchandise
SPRINGFIELD, Ill., Sept. 1, 2011 – A newly expanded Walmart opens this month at 3401 Freedom Drive in Springfield, bringing 85 new jobs, savings on a full line of groceries and an increase in tax revenue to support the area’s economy. Local dignitaries will join store manager Tim Reynolds and store associates to celebrate the expansion and renovations during a ribbon-cutting ceremony at 7:30 a.m., Wednesday, Sept.14.
Store Designed to Improve Customer Experience
Walmart added 30,000 square feet to the building and fully renovated the store with a new layout, wider aisles, low-profile shelving, bright interior paint scheme, enhanced lighting and easy-to-read signage to make the shopping experience more convenient for customers. It now features a full line of groceries as well as a bakery, a delicatessen, a frozen food section, and meat, dairy and fresh produce sections. Time-saving services and an expanded merchandise selection add to the store’s one-stop shopping convenience.
Walmart aligned the departments that customers shop most frequently. The pharmacy, for example, is now adjacent to food making it easier for customers to pick up their prescriptions while shopping for their groceries.
A bright interior color palette creates an inviting shopping experience and helps define the store’s merchandise areas. Directional signage on every aisle helps customers find what they are looking for quickly.
“The layout of the store is easy to navigate, which will save our customers time as they shop for everyday necessities,” said Reynolds. “By grouping the products that our customers most often purchase, including health and beauty and pet supplies, we are making one-stop shopping even easier.”
Economic Impact Includes 85 New Jobs
According to Reynolds, 85 new jobs were created as a result of the expansion. Twenty-eight of the store’s associates have worked for Walmart for more than 10 years, 11 associates have worked for the store for more than 15 years and 10 associates at the Springfield Walmart have worked for the store since it originally opened in 1991. Reynolds is an Illinois native who began his Walmart career in 1991 at the Springfield store as an overnight stocker and has been the manager of the Springfield store for three years.
“I am proud to be part of this store’s expansion as we now have the opportunity to provide additional jobs and career opportunities right here in this community where I started my Walmart career,” said Reynolds.
Store Designed to Improve Customer Experience
In recent months, Walmart has taken major steps to refresh its stores, merchandising and customer experience. The improvements have all come together in the company’s newest stores, such as the Springfield Walmart, with fast service, a friendly shopping experience and clean stores.
The expansion also brings Walmart customers an expanded electronics department featuring a wide selection of the latest consumer electronics and home entertainment. The new design includes a more hands-on experience for customers with interactive displays for hi-definition Blu-ray, video gaming and portable electronics. The interactive experience enables shoppers to test new technology. A new department called Celebration Station has been added and will feature party supplies, greeting cards, balloons and helium tanks, cake supplies and gift wrap.
Store Design Incorporates Environmentally Friendly Features
The new Springfield Walmart, like all new Walmart stores, includes energy-efficient technology and environmentally friendly features to reduce energy and water consumption and minimize waste. The store’s LED lighting in the store operates 70 percent more efficiently than traditional fluorescent lighting.
The tile flooring throughout the store reduces the need for chemical cleaners. Low-flow toilets and no-touch faucets reduce the water used in the bathrooms. The new store also operates a recycling program and will promote sustainable product purchases.
Ribbon-Cutting Celebration 7:30 a.m., Sept. 14
Community and business leaders, including members of the Springfield Chamber of Commerce, will join Walmart associates at 7:30 a.m., Wednesday, Sept. 14, for a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony.
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT) serves customers and members more than 200 million times per week at over 9,600 retail units under 69 different banners in 28 countries. With fiscal year 2011 sales of $419 billion, Walmart employs 2.1 million associates worldwide. Walmart continues to be a leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity. Additional information about Walmart can be found by visiting http://walmartstores.com and on Twitter at http://twitter.com/walmart. Online merchandise sales are available at http://www.walmart.com and http://www.samsclub.com.
- Location: 3401 Freedom Drive, Springfield, IIl.
- 142,000-square-foot Walmart
- Store opens at 7:30 a.m., Wednesday, Sept. 14, following a ribbon-cutting ceremony
- Store manager: Tim Reynolds
- Open 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Full line of groceries, including a bakery, a deli serving fresh food and meal solutions for busy people on-the-go, meat and dairy products, fresh produce, and beer and wine
- More than 30 merchandise departments such as apparel and accessories, a lawn and garden center, health and beauty aids, and an expanded electronics department
- Convenience services include a pharmacy, vision center, digital photo processing center and a Walmart Connect Center
- Store plans to employ approximately 300 associates, including 85 positions created by the expansion
- The average wage at Walmart for full-time hourly associates in Illinois is approximately $12.65 per hour*
- Walmart’s benefit program is available to eligible full- and part-time associates and provides a variety of affordable health and well-being benefits including medical insurance with no lifetime maximum. Walmart also offers matching 401(k) contributions of up to 6 percent of pay, discounts on general merchandise for store associates, a Sam’s Club membership for club associates, an Associate Stock Purchase Program and company-paid life insurance. Additionally, eligible associates receive an annual incentive based on the company performance.
* Average wage taken June 2011. See www.walmartstores.com for details.