Walmart Ready to Reveal New Store to Connersville Shoppers
Newly Relocated Walmart in Connersville provides 85 jobs, plus savings on wide selection of merchandise
CONNERSVILLE, Ind., July 6, 2011 – A new Walmart opens this month in Connersville, bringing 120 new jobs, savings on a full line of groceries and an increase in tax revenue to support the area’s economy. Nonprofit organizations will also benefit from the retailer’s ongoing charitable contributions and support for community projects. The Walmart, located at 4200 Western Ave., will be opened to customers at 8 a.m., Wednesday, July 20.
“I am pleased that Walmart is willing and has faith in our community to invest millions of dollars into Connersville,” said Connersville Mayor Leonard Urban. “This investment shows that they have great expectations for the future and that they are committed to offering our citizens an improved store that better serves our community. They have proven to be an asset to Connersville and I look forward to welcoming this beautiful new facility."
Store Designed to Improve Customer Experience
In recent months, Walmart has taken major steps to refresh its stores, merchandising and customer experience. The improvements have all come together in the company’s newest stores, such as the Connersville Walmart, with fast service, a friendly shopping experience and clean stores.
The new Walmart features enhanced services and a layout designed to make the shopping experience more convenient for customers. Walmart aligned the departments that customers shop most frequently. The pharmacy, for example, is adjacent to food making it easier for customers to pick up their prescriptions while shopping for their groceries.
“The layout of the store is easy to navigate, which will save our customers time as they shop for everyday necessities,” said Clevenger. “By grouping the products that our customers most often purchase, including health and beauty and pet supplies, we are making one-stop shopping even easier.”
A bright interior color palette creates an inviting shopping experience and helps define the store’s merchandise areas. Directional signage on every aisle helps customers find what they are looking for quickly.
Economic Impact Includes 85 New Jobs
According to store manager Barry Clevenger, 85 new jobs were created as a result of the relocation. Twenty-nine of the store’s associates have worked for Walmart for more than 10 years, 21 associates have worked for the store for more than 15 years and 20 associates at the Connersville Walmart have worked for the store for 20 years. Clevenger is an Indiana native who began his Walmart career in 1991 as an hourly associate in the hardware department at a store in Muncie, Ind., and has been the manager of the Connersville store for five years.
Community Organizations Benefit from Grand-Opening Grants
As part of Walmart’s commitment to the communities in which it operates, $6,000 in grants from the Walmart Foundation will be presented during the ribbon-cutting ceremony. These grants will be presented to local service organizations, including the Community Christian School, Community Education Coalition, Community Sharing Food Bank, Eastview Elementary, Fayette County EMS and the House of Ruth.
Store Design Incorporates Environmentally Friendly Features
The new Connersville Walmart, like all new Walmart stores, includes energy-efficient technology and environmentally friendly features to reduce energy and water consumption and minimize waste. The store’s skylights harvest daylight and reduce the amount of energy required to light the store by up to 75 percent daily. LED lighting in the store operates 70 percent more efficiently than traditional fluorescent lighting.
The cement flooring throughout the store reduces the need for chemical cleaners. Low-flow toilets and no-touch faucets reduce the water used in the bathrooms. The new store also operates a recycling program and will promote sustainable product purchases.
Ribbon-Cutting Celebration 8 a.m., July 20
Community and business leaders, including Mayor Urban and members of the Connersville Chamber of Commerce, will join Walmart associates at 8 a.m., Wednesday, July 20, for a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony. Local minister and Asst. Police Chief Dennis Perkins will perform the invocation.
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT) serves customers and members more than 200 million times per week at more than 9,000 retail units under 60 different banners in 15 countries. With fiscal year 2011 sales of $419 billion, Walmart employs more than 2 million associates worldwide. Walmart continues to be a leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity. Additional information about Walmart can be found by visiting www.walmartstores.com, on Twitter at http://Twitter.com/Walmart, and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/walmart. Online merchandise sales are available at www.walmart.com and www.samsclub.com.
- Location: 4200 Western Ave. Connersville, Ind.
- 142,000-square-foot Walmart
- Store opens at 8 a.m., Wednesday, July 20, following a ribbon-cutting ceremony
- Store manager: Barry Clevenger
- Open 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Full line of groceries, including a bakery, a deli serving fresh food and meal solutions for busy people on-the-go, meat and dairy products, fresh produce, and beer and wine
- More than 30 merchandise departments such as apparel and accessories, a lawn and garden center, health and beauty aids, and an expanded electronics department
- Convenience services include a pharmacy, vision center, digital photo processing center and a Walmart Connect Center
- Leased areas and services include a Smart Style salon
$6,000 grants from the Walmart Foundation will be presented to the following area organizations:
- Community Christian School
- Community Education Coalition
- Community Sharing Food Bank
- Eastview Elementary
- Fayette County EMS
- House of Ruth
- Store plans to employ approximately 270 associates, including approximately 85 positions created by the relocation.
- The average wage at Walmart for full-time hourly associates in Indiana is approximately $12.17 per hour*
- Walmart’s benefit program is available to eligible full- and part-time associates and provides a variety of affordable health and well-being benefits including medical insurance with no lifetime maximum. Walmart also offers matching 401(k) contributions of up to 6 percent of pay, discounts on general merchandise for store associates, a Sam’s Club membership for club associates, an Associate Stock Purchase Program and company-paid life insurance. Additionally, eligible associates receive an annual incentive based on the company performance.
* Average wage taken June 2011. See www.walmartstores.com for details.