Walmart Brings Savings and Convenience to Park City
Expanded store adds full line of groceries and 25 new jobs
PARK CITY, Utah, Dec. 13, 2010 – The wait is over for residents in Park City eager to see their Walmart at 6545 N. Landmark Drive bring savings on a full line of groceries and a wide assortment of new products and services. Designed to make shopping easy for customers, the store will unveil its new expansion to customers at 8 a.m., Wednesday, Dec. 15 after a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony.
“We have a loyal customer base and some have been shopping here since our original opening,” said store manager Michael Donahue. “We think they’ll love the new, easy-to-shop layout of the store and appreciate the savings we offer on the products they need.”
New Layout Improves Customer Experience
The Park City Walmart also features a new layout and updated design. In recent months, Walmart has taken major steps to refresh its stores, merchandise and customer experience. The improvements have all come together in the company’s newest stores with faster service, a friendlier shopping experience and cleaner stores.
“The layout of the store is easy to navigate, which will save customers time as they shop for everyday necessities at our unbeatable prices,” said Donahue. “By grouping the products that our customers most often purchase we are making one-stop shopping even easier.”
Lower shelving throughout the store creates an improved sightline and directional signage on every aisle helps customers find what they are looking for quickly.
Expanded Walmart Adds 25 New Jobs
The store plans to employ approximately 225 associates, including approximately 25 positions created by the expansion.
Store Design Incorporates Environmentally Friendly Features
The Park City store, like all new Walmart stores, includes energy-efficient technology and environmentally friendly features to reduce energy and water consumption and minimize waste. The store’s skylights harvest daylight and reduce the amount of energy required to light the store by up to 75 percent daily. LED lighting throughout the store operates 70 percent more efficiently than traditional fluorescent lighting. Part of the cement used in the concrete flooring is made with recycled materials, and the floor’s finish reduces the need for chemical cleaners. Low-flow toilets and faucets reduce the water used in the bathrooms.
Community Organizations Benefit from Grand-Opening Grants
The store is continuing its support of the community by giving $11,900 in grants from the Walmart Foundation to local organizations. The grant recipients include Habitat for Humanity, South Summit High School, Utah State University/Swaner Nature Preserve, Park City Police Department, Park City Performances/Egyptian Theater and other local causes.
Walmart and the Walmart Foundation have committed $2 billion to U.S. hunger relief efforts through 2015. The Fighting Hunger Together campaign will also engage Walmart customers and associates in the fight against hunger. More information can be found at walmart.com/fightinghunger.
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT), or “Walmart,” serves customers and members more than 200 million times per week at more than 8,600 retail units under 55 different banners in 15 countries. With fiscal year 2010 sales of $405 billion, Walmart employs more than 2.0 million associates worldwide. A leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity, Walmart ranked first among retailers in Fortune Magazine’s 2010 Most Admired Companies survey. Additional information about Walmart can be found by visiting www.walmartstores.com and on Twitter at http://Twitter.com/walmart. Online merchandise sales are available at www.walmart.com and www.samsclub.com.
Park City Walmart
- Location: 6545 N. Landmark Drive
- 115,213-square-foot Walmart, gaining an additional 42,000 square feet
- Store opens at 8 a.m. Wednesday, Dec. 15, following a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony
- Store manager: Michael Donahue
- Open 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Full line of groceries including a bakery, a deli serving fresh food and meal solutions for moms, meat and dairy products and fresh produce
- More than 30 merchandise departments such as apparel and accessories, lawn and garden center, health and beauty aids, and an expanded electronics department
- Convenience services include a pharmacy, digital photo processing center and Walmart Connect Center
$11,900 in grants from the Walmart Foundation to the following area organizations:
- Habitat for Humanity
- South Summit High School
- Utah State University - Swaner Nature Preserve
- Park City Police Department
- Park City Performances/Egyptian Theater
- Store plans to employ approximately 225 associates, including approximately 25 positions added by the expansion.
- The average wage at Walmart for full-time hourly associates in Utah is approximately $11.58 per hour*
- Walmart benefits – available to eligible full- and part-time associates – include health insurance with no lifetime maximum. Walmart also offers a 401(k) plan and profit sharing contributions, whether an associate contributes or not, store discount cards, company performance-based bonuses, stock purchase program and life insurance
* Average wage taken December 2010. See www.walmartstores.com for details.