Newly relocated Walmart provides 125 new jobs
SARTELL, Minn., Sept. 3, 2010 – A new Walmart opens this month in Sartell, bringing approximately 125 planned new jobs, savings on a full line of groceries and an increase in tax revenue to support the area’s economy. The Sartell Walmart, located at 21 County Road 120 in St. Cloud, Minn., will be open to customers at 7:30 a.m., Wednesday, Sept. 15.
Store Designed to Improve Customer Experience
In recent months, Walmart has taken major steps to refresh its stores, merchandising and customer experience. The improvements have all come together in the company’s newest stores, such as the Sartell Walmart.
The new Walmart features wide aisles, enhanced service and a layout designed to make the shopping experience more convenient for customers. Walmart aligned the departments that customers shop most frequently. The pharmacy, for example, is adjacent to food making it easier for customers to pick up their prescriptions while shopping for their groceries. Smart Style, a hair salon, has been added at the front of the store.
“The layout of the store is easy to navigate, which will save our customers time as they shop for everyday necessities,” said store manager Brandon Sharp. “By grouping the products that our customers most often purchase including health and beauty and pet supplies, we are making one-stop shopping even easier.”
A bright interior color palette creates an inviting shopping experience and helps define the store’s merchandise areas. Lower shelving creates an improved sightline and directional signage on every aisle helps customers find what they are looking for quickly. Walmart also combined the customer service desk, Site-to-Store pick-up location and photo lab in one area near the entrance. Customers now have easy access to these services, as well as associates on hand to help meet their needs.
Approximately 125 new jobs were created as a result of the relocation. Twenty four of the store’s associates have worked at the store since its original opening in 1991.
Store Design Incorporates Environmentally Friendly Features
The Sartell Walmart, like all new Walmart stores, includes energy-efficient technology and environmentally friendly features to reduce energy and water consumption and minimize waste. The store’s skylights harvest daylight and reduce the amount of energy required to light the store by up to 75 percent daily. LED lighting in the store operates 70 percent more efficiently than traditional fluorescent lighting.
The cement used in the concrete flooring is made with recycled materials, and the floor’s finish reduces the need for chemical cleaners. Low-flow toilets and faucets reduce the water used in the bathrooms. The new store will promote sustainable product purchases.
Ribbon-Cutting Celebration 7:30 a.m., Sept. 15
Community and business leaders will join Walmart associates at 7:30 a.m. Wednesday for a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony. Wynn Pennington, a store associate, will sing the national anthem.
Walmart and the Walmart Foundation have committed $2 billion to U.S. hunger relief efforts through 2015. The Fighting Hunger Together campaign will also engage Walmart customers and associates in the fight against hunger. More information can be found at walmart.com/fightinghunger.
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT), or “Walmart,” serves customers and members more than 200 million times per week at more than 8,400 retail units under 55 different banners in 15 countries. With fiscal year 2010 sales of $405 billion, Walmart employs more than 2 million associates worldwide. A leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity, Walmart ranked first among retailers in Fortune Magazine’s 2009 Most Admired Companies survey. Additional information about Walmart can be found by visiting www.walmartstores.com and on Twitter at http://Twitter.com/walmart. Online merchandise sales are available at www.walmart.com and www.samsclub.com.
- Location: 21 County Road 120, St. Cloud, Minn.
- Formerly located at 380 33rd Ave.
- 187,000-square-foot Walmart, gaining 67,798 additional square feet
- Store opens at 7:30 a.m., Wednesday, Sept. 15, following a ribbon-cutting ceremony
- Store manager: Brandon Sharp
- Open 24 hours, seven days a week
- Full line of groceries including a bakery, a deli serving fresh food and meal solutions for moms, meat and dairy products, and fresh produce
- More than 30 merchandise departments such as apparel and accessories, a drive-through lawn and garden center, health and beauty aids, and an expanded electronics department
- Convenience services include a pharmacy, digital photo processing center, a Subway, Smart Style hair salon and Walmart Connect Center
- Store plans to employ approximately 400 associates, including 125 new positions created by the relocation
- The average wage at Walmart for full-time hourly associates in Minnesota is approximately $12.06 per hour*
- Walmart benefits – available to eligible full- and part-time associates – include health insurance with no lifetime maximum. Walmart also offers a 401(k) plan and profit sharing contributions, whether an associate contributes or not, store discount cards, company performance-based bonuses, stock purchase program and life insurance
* Average wage taken July 2010. See www.walmartstores.com for details.
# # #