Supermodel Daisy Fuentes Offers Tips for Finding Affordable and Stylish Specs
BENTONVILLE, Ark., October 23, 2009 – According to The Vision Council, 63 percent of American adults wear eyeglasses. For many, finding the ideal frames can be compared to locating the perfect pair of jeans – both require trial and error before discovering a pair that best fits one’s shape, style and budget.
“Finding the perfect frames doesn’t have to be difficult or break the bank,” said supermodel and fashion designer Daisy Fuentes, whose line of affordable eyewear is sold at Walmart Vision Centers. “Before heading out to purchase new eyeglasses, I recommend narrowing down your choices by focusing on your facial features before looking for the latest trends.”
People who try to follow trends too closely when shopping for glasses may end up choosing a pair that doesn’t fit properly or complement their face. Experts suggest finding frames that accentuate your best features before focusing on the look you are trying to achieve, whether it’s stylish, intelligent or geek chic.
Fuentes recommends the following tips for matching the perfect pair of glasses with various face shapes:
- Oval: Keep balance and proportion in mind when trying on different options and look for frames that are as wide as the broadest part of the face. Make sure the eyewear features aren’t overwhelming.
- Round: A round face is full with curvy lines and no angles. Use eyewear to provide a slimming effect and minimize the fullness of the face. Avoid square styles. Look for oversized eye shapes in oval or rectangle to make the face appear longer and thinner.
- Square: Square faces often have a strong jaw line, broad forehead and wide chin and cheekbones. Choose a frame with soft lines or curves to enhance and make the face appear longer. Try highlighting the cheekbones with a cat-eye inspired look.
Eyeglass Frames Help Accentuate Features and Style
Another factor in choosing frames is the lens prescription, which affects which frame style you should pick. Plastic frames are usually the first choice for thick lenses, although they may have a tendency to slide down the nose frequently without adjustable nose supports. Metal frames are more durable and can be a great choice for people who prefer a lower-profile design. Whichever the choice of frames, be sure to pick a color that complements hair, eye color and skin tone.
“If you have red hair and freckles, avoid bright red frames. Dark skin tones look great with a lighter pair of glasses and vice versa,” said Fuentes. “Pick hues that accentuate your eye color. You can amplify your brown or blue eyes by wearing glasses with a similar shade.”
The final step in the frame selection process is to find a design that fits your personality and style. This season’s hottest eyewear trends include:
- Animal Attraction: Leopard and snake in all shapes, sizes and colors. Mix with any trend color to make a glam statement.
- Retro Revival: Vintage is new again with a sprinkle of geek chic. A great vintage accessory will spice up any wardrobe and keep a signature look from looking stale.
- Star Studded: Bold, brave, confident…perfect to satisfy the inner-diva and make heads turn when entering a room.
- True Beauty: From airy feminine details to dangerous curves, make sure to infuse some personality into an everyday wardrobe.
Regular Eye Exams Help Maintain Good Vision
After selecting frames, it’s important for people to wear their glasses as recommended by their optometrist and to get regular eye exams to ensure the prescription stays up to date.
“Regular eye exams are a vital step to ensure healthy vision,” said Mark Larsen, Walmart’s vice president for health and wellness merchandising. “Through Walmart Vision Centers, we’re able to provide families with access to affordable eye health services and products.”
The latest eyewear styles by Daisy Fuentes and other celebrities, as well as affordable eye exams by independent licensed optometrists, are available at nearly 3,000 Walmart Vision Centers across the country. Daisy’s collection of stylish frames range in price from $102 to $127. To see Daisy’s complete collection of eyewear, stop by your local Walmart Vision Center.
Every week, millions of customers visit Walmart stores, Neighborhood Markets, and Sam’s Club locations across America or log on to its online store at www.walmart.com. The company and its Foundation are committed to a philosophy of giving back locally. Walmart (NYSE: WMT) is proud to support the causes that are important to customers and associates right in their own neighborhoods, and last year gave more than $378 million to local communities in the United States. More information about Walmart can be found by visiting www.walmartstores.com.
# # #
1The Vision Council and Jobson Optical Research: VisionWatch report, June 2009