Store provides $22,000 in community grants, 170 jobs
LYNN HAVEN Fla., Oct. 7, 2009 – A new Walmart opens this month in Lynn Haven, bringing approximately 170 planned new jobs and savings on a full line of groceries. Nonprofit organizations will also benefit from the retailer’s ongoing charitable contributions and support for community projects. The Walmart, located at 2101 Hwy 77, will be open to customers at 8 a.m., Wednesday, Oct. 14.
Store Designed to Improve Customer Experience
In recent months, Walmart has taken major steps to refresh its stores, merchandising and customer experience. The improvements have all come together in the company’s newest stores, such as the Lynn Haven Walmart.
The new Walmart features wide aisles, enhanced service and a layout designed to make the shopping experience more convenient for customers. Walmart aligned the departments that customers shop most frequently. The pharmacy, for example, is adjacent to food making it easier for customers to pick up their prescriptions while shopping for their groceries.
“The layout of the store is easy to navigate, which will save our customers time as they shop for everyday necessities,” said store manager Belinda Williams. “By grouping the products that our customers most often purchase including health and beauty and pet supplies, we are making one-stop shopping even easier.”
A bright interior color palette creates an inviting shopping experience and helps define the store’s merchandise areas. Lower shelving creates an improved sightline and directional signage on every aisle helps customers find what they are looking for quickly. Walmart also combined the customer service desk, site to store pick-up location and photo lab in one area near the entrance. Customers now have easy access to these services, as well as associates on hand to help meet their needs.
Approximately 170 new jobs were created as a result of the relocation. More than 90 of the store’s associates have worked for Walmart for more than 10 years, including 11 associates who have worked at the store since its original opening in 1987.
Community Organizations Benefit from Grand-Opening Grants
As part of Walmart’s commitment to the communities in which it operates, more than $22,000 in grants from the Walmart Foundation will be presented during the grand-opening celebration. The following organizations will each receive grants to support programs that serve the community: The Salvation Army; Bay County Council on Aging; City of Lynn Haven Fire and Emergency Services; Lynn Haven Public Library; Panama City Rescue Mission; Panhandle Crime Stoppers; American Red Cross; American Cancer Society; Family Resource Coalition; Covenant Hospice; Gulf Coast Workforce Development Board and the American Legion.
Store Design Incorporates Environmentally Friendly Features
The Lynn Haven Walmart, like all new Walmartludes energy-efficient technology and environmentally friendly features to reduce energy and water consumption and minimize waste. The store’s skylights harvest daylight and reduce the amount of energy required to light the store by up to 75 percent daily. LED lighting in the store operates 70 percent more efficiently than traditional fluorescent lighting.
The cement used in the concrete flooring is made with recycled materials, and the floor’s finish reduces the need for chemical cleaners. Low-flow toilets and faucets reduce the water used in the bathrooms. The new store also operates a recycling program and will promote sustainable product purchases.
Ribbon-Cutting Celebration 7:30 a.m., Oct. 14
Community and business leaders, including Lynn Haven Mayor Walter Kelley and representatives from the Chamber of Commerce, will join Walmart associates at 7:30 a.m. Wednesday, Oct. 14, for a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony. The Mosley High School Band and Choir will perform the national anthem, and the Mosley ROTC will present the colors.
Every week, millions of customers visit Walmart stores, Neighborhood Markets, and Sam’s Club locations across America or log on to its online store at www.walmart.com. The company and its Foundation are committed to a philosophy of giving back locally. Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT) is proud to support the causes that are important to customers and associates right in their own neighborhoods, and last year gave more than $378 million to local communities in the United States.
- Store Manager Belinda Williams is available for interviews and to arrange photo opportunities or tours. She can be reached at 850-265-2626.
Lynn Haven Walmart
- Location: 2101 Hwy 77
- Formerly located at 513 West 23rd St. in Panama City
- 208,000-square-foot Walmart
- Store opens at 8 a.m. Wednesday, October 14, following a 7:30 a.m. ribbon-cutting ceremony
- Store manager: Belinda Williams
- Open 24 hours
- Full line of groceries including a bakery, a deli serving fresh food and meal solutions for moms, meat and dairy products and fresh produce
- More than 30 merchandise departments such as apparel and accessories, a drive-through lawn and garden center, health and beauty aids, and an expanded electronics department
- Convenience services include a pharmacy, vision center, liquor store, digital photo processing center, MoneyCenter and Walmart Connect Center
- Leased space includes Subway restaurant
- $22,000 in grants from the Walmart Foundation to the following area organizations:
- Salvation Army
- Bay County Council on Aging
- City of Lynn Haven Fire and Emergency Services
- City of Lynn Haven Leisure Services
- Lynn Haven Public Library
- Panama City Rescue Mission
- Panhandle Crime Stoppers
- American Red Cross
- American Cancer Society
- Family Resource Coalition
- Covenant Hospice
- Gulf Coast Workforce Development Board
- American Legion
- Store plans to employ approximately 385 associates, including 170 new positions created by the relocation
- The average wage at Walmart for full-time hourly associates in Florida is approximately $11.55 per hour*
- Walmart benefits – available to eligible full- and part-time associates – include health insurance with no lifetime maximum. Walmart also offers a 401(k) plan and profit sharing contributions, whether an associate contributes or not, store discount cards, company performance-based bonuses, stock purchase program and life insurance
* Average wage taken August 2009.
For more information
- Store manager: Belinda Williams, 850-265-2626
- Walmart information online: merchandise sales: www.walmart.com
# # #